Dates, times and booking
Thu 18 Nov 2021 12:30PMBook now
This discussion and Q&A, by contemporary genre fiction scholar Dr Stephen Butler, explores the representation of witches in comics with particular reference to James Robinson and multiple artists’ Scarlet Witch (Marvel) and Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda’s Monstress (Image). Robinson was the first to explore the magical side of Wanda Maximoff and does so by referencing the witch trials of both Salem and Logroño to make the point that these trials were mostly used to punish women for their femininity, often with a religious element to it. He also draws attention to the monstrous othering of the Romani people and this combination of gender and ethnicity is one more thoroughly explored in Monstress. Chinese-American author Liu uses both the monstress and witch tropes to explore her own mixed heritage whilst Takeda’s Japanese art-work subtly comments on the monstering of the Japanese after the Second World War.
Terms & Conditions of Ticket Sales
- Tickets may not be exchanged or refunded.
- Any tickets remaining unclaimed 15 minutes prior to a performance may be sold.
- Latecomers are admitted at the Management’s discretion.
- All information about performances is accurate at the time of print. Some details may be subject to change.
- The use of cameras or recording equipment is strictly forbidden.
- The management reserves the right to alter or cancel performances without prior notice.
- The Management reserves the right to refuse admission, or to request that the ticket holder leave the premises and to take appropriate action to enforce such a request.
- In exceptional circumstances the Management reserves the right to provide alternative seats to those specified on the ticket.
- Children aged up to 2 years old who can sit on a parent/guardian’s knee do not require a ticket. However, children aged 3 years and over are required to have a ticket purchased for them.
- Unaccompanied children are admitted at the Management’s discretion.
- Where applicable, concession rates are identified as part of the ticket price for a show and are available to over 65's, under 18's, students, unwaged, and those who registered disabled. Simply select your ticket type when booking online to receive this discount. A proof of status will be required when collecting concession tickets.
- The Management reserves the right to alter prices, concessions, conditions of sale and seat allocation without notice. If in doubt please check with the Box office.