Dates, times and pricing
Ulster Orchestra presents
Thursday 12th March 2020
Doors open 7.00pm, Concert starts 7.30pm
Tickets: £14 (For Under 26 years of age - £5 bookable in person at the box office with valid ID)
The Diamond, Ulster University Coleraine
Rautavaara Cantus Arcticus: Concerto for Birds and Orchestra
Walton Viola Concerto
Sibelius Lemminkäinen Suite
Anu Tali Conductor
Lise Berthaud Viola
The Diamond Hall will ring with Nordic birdsong as Rautavaara’s Concerto blends recordings of birdcalls with atmospheric orchestral colour that evokes the frozen tundra of the Arctic, while a mythical Finnish swan forms the centrepiece of Sibelius’s Lemminkäinen Suite.
Like much of Sibelius’s work, Lemminkäinen is inspired by the Finnish mythological epic the Kalevala, and is based on four episodes in the life of the titular hero, including the gorgeously serene and hugely popular Swan of Tuonela.
Walton’s Viola Concerto is regarded as one of the great concertos for the instrument, bringing all of the viola’s best qualities to the fore in a work that is by turns elegantly lyrical and jazzily syncopated. Former BBC New Generation
Artist Lise Berthaud will be the ideal soloist for this work, with The Daily Telegraph stating that “Quality came out vividly, from the young French violist Lise Berthaud, whose powerful tone soared effortlessly.”
Terms & Conditions of Ticket Sales
- Tickets may not be exchanged or refunded.
- Any tickets remaining unclaimed 15 minutes prior to a performance may be sold.
- Latecomers are admitted at the Management’s discretion.
- All information about performances is accurate at the time of print. Some details may be subject to change.
- The use of cameras or recording equipment is strictly forbidden.
- The management reserves the right to alter or cancel performances without prior notice.
- The Management reserves the right to refuse admission, or to request that the ticket holder leave the premises and to take appropriate action to enforce such a request.
- In exceptional circumstances the Management reserves the right to provide alternative seats to those specified on the ticket.
- Children aged up to 2 years old who can sit on a parent/guardian’s knee do not require a ticket. However, children aged 3 years and over are required to have a ticket purchased for them.
- Unaccompanied children are admitted at the Management’s discretion.
- Where applicable, concession rates are identified as part of the ticket price for a show and are available to over 65's, under 18's, students, unwaged, and those who registered disabled. Simply select your ticket type when booking online to receive this discount. A proof of status will be required when collecting concession tickets.
- The Management reserves the right to alter prices, concessions, conditions of sale and seat allocation without notice. If in doubt please check with the Box office.